Monday, July 23, 2012

sending them off, prayers and tears not optional...

The boy got on the road this morning, heading back to NoLa after spending his summer up here with us.  This is always done with a repetitive montra of "drive carefully, call us when you get home" and of course, there might have been a few tears involved.  Isn't that what moms and dads are supposed to do, no matter how old they get?  I am pretty sure I threw in some intercessory prayers to various saints and I believe at some point I sent my own guardian angel along to "light" the way.  I am also fairly certain that I would have done this regardless of the horrific happenings in Colorado over the weekend.  Thinking of what those family members must be experiencing, sending children to a movie only to realize they will never come home again...it is too painful to dwell on.

This time around the boy is returning to NoLa, not as a student, but as a full-fledged adult with a job, and an apartment, bills, the whole ball of wax.  His dad and I have listened, with some amusement,  to a combination of various reactions regarding the cost of items needed to furnish an apartment, the current price of gas, clothes, cable, books, and the biggie, his food bill.  As parents, we have lamented the costs of these items for years, since before he was born.  But now that he is footing this bill, well...some lessons are best learned by experiencing Life and I truly hope he has a good one.

So this past weekend he packed up some books and cleaned up his work station ...

We bought him a house warming gift, something no bachelor pad should be without...

yes, the George Foreman grill, and then he bought himself something no bachelor pad should be without....

well you can't see it in this picture, but it is a 42 inch flat-screen TV.  I was assured it was a bargain at the BestBuy, budget still intact, evidently.  And then it was time to say goodbye, for real this time.  Have a great year, my Phillip, and call me when you get home.






No comments:

Post a Comment