Tuesday, August 14, 2012

a hobby for those dog days of summer...

I started painting again.  Actually I had some recent developments that motivated me, one being the extreme heat that has moved me indoors out of the garden I love so much.  It makes me sad to look at the burned up plants and wilted flowers that are trying to bloom.  I water in the early morning but it is too hot to stay out for long so I run inside and close the window blinds so I won't have to look.  Is that some form of denial, like hiding your eyes, if you can't see it it doesn't exist.  I won't sadden you with pictures, it would truly break your heart.  But luckily for me, I have another hobby that I don't spend near enough time enjoying.

this is my latest.  I love the color of the blue jeans, the fringe is still a work in progress, and the spurs...well I'm trying to hide them in the chaps.

Someone asked me if I went to school for art.  After I finished crying with laughter, I explained that "no", I took an art class because I needed an extra elective to graduate.  I enjoyed painting, it was relaxing and I found I would get lost in mixing colors on the palette, seeing the colors transform a blank canvas.  It also helped that what went on the canvas would actually look a little like what I wanted it too.

This is my first attempt at an abstract of the beautiful Gulf waters off the coast of Florida.  I keep going back to it and adding waves, it's coming along.  I love slapping paint across the canvas and watching the blend of colors meld into a calming and serene piece of art.  It is wonderful therapy, if you know what I mean.






I am currently working on some houses.  They are both houses in the NoLa area, but I set the little yellow one on the beach, and the green one will have a halloween feel to it when I am finished.  I like having some artistic license, it makes it my own work of art and I like putting my own touch to the pieces.


The other motivator is that I got a hair up my behind and entered an art show, actually I submitted some pieces so I could be included in an art market.  In order to be in this market your work must be judged worthy.  Well lo and behold, the work is worthy, I was accepted and invited to exhibit my work at this market.  It will be in October, so I have a few more weeks to do a couple more pieces for the show.  I am getting more anxious and am now vacillating between the thought of whether I have actually lost my mind or a laizez faire attitude of what the heck, life is for the living, blah blah blah.  I will definitely keep everyone updated.  Pray for me, I'm gonna need it.


No comments:

Post a Comment