Wednesday, August 22, 2012

...and back down South she goes.

The girl went back to school this past week.  I'm sure going to miss her.  We bond in a unique way whenever she is home, but now that she is older we bond more so in that mother/daughter/friend way.  I like that because then I know I am more than a caregiver to her.  She worked hard this summer, physical therapy three days a week, but I don't think it compares to the work she does on her own during the school year.

A little over a year ago she became paralyzed and her world was turned upside down.  But true to Emily form, she held strong to the faith that God gave her and persevered, determined to return to college in Houston, miles away from home.

So, being the supportive parents that we are, we packed her up...

loaded her into the van, and headed south.

She was able to get settled into her same room she had last year.  I will admit that after three moves, this gets much easier.  One learns to weed out what isn't needed, and believe me, when manipulating a wheelchair around a small dorm room, extra baggage is...well, just that...baggage.

But no matter how easy we try to make things for her, she still has to work extra hard and I am so very proud of her. So go get 'em, Em and have an incredibly blessed year, my girl.







2 comments:

  1. “But no matter how easy we try to make things for her, she still has to work extra hard and I am so very proud of her.”--- Your support will help her achieve her goals, Debra! You’re very supportive parents! I think your daughter truly appreciates all those things you’ve done and will do for her. She must be really grateful to have parents like you.

    Thomas Wright

    ReplyDelete
  2. People with disabilities should also try to help themselves. It is not enough that they only get support from other people. They should also be determined to make a move and think of ways of how they can improve their life. You can do it Em!

    -Tanisha Hertzler

    ReplyDelete